Sunday, January 3, 2010

What Should I wear today?

WHAT I SHOULD I WEAR TODAY?

New Year. New Decade. New start. New more positive thoughts. This what we are all thinking. Probably not the most original idea to start a blog with but since that was the inspiration for starting this blog, why not roll with it?
Having been a part of this mad fashion industry for 15 years now I felt it was about time to have my own space. There is something very cynical about fashion, we love to be critical about a collection, to point out where the loose threads are. And we are always striving to make this more fabulous. And of course we love to dress well. Which is why I often wake up thinking, “What should I wear today?” And my response is next to always, “Nothing”. Even though I have stacked cupboards full of clothes, which say otherwise.

This is why the start to my New Year’s was really about starting with a very fashionable new slate. This New Year’s I decided enough of the normal walking up on New Year’s Day (or should I say evening) with a heavy head and feeling very sorry for myself. Instead I packed off with my fiancĂ©e to Ananda in the Himalayas. This is a true break from the world; cut off from the rest of the world (and most importantly cellphones do not work) you have time to think. And what I found most restful was the fact I did not have to think about what to wear. Ananda is about total de-stress. Starting the day with Yoga class and then moving onto breakfast where you meal is determined by what dosha you are—so you don't have to make any of those hard, "What should I eat?” decisions. Breakfast flows happily into an informal and very chatty vedanta class and then it’s off for a truly indulgent treatment. Really quite idyllic but what made it extra special was a soft cotton white kutra pajama with simple embroidery around the neck - loose, comfortable, yet chic. A set of these is placed in every room and this is what you wear- so you never have to think, “What should I wear today?” And seeing everyone wearing the same thing had an almost comforting factor.

KEEP IT SIMPLE
It made me think that here we are, in the world of fashion, trying to reinvent all the time, when sometimes basic is really the way to go. It really is about the simple things in life. And often we get carried away, being extravagant just for the sake it. And actually finding that simplest of garment is often the most challenging--the right white shirt, the sari with the perfect blouse and the dress that always makes you feel fab. These are the pieces you can bank on.

THE BASIC FIVE

For me the white shirt can easily be replaced with a white kurta shirt. It is a silhouette that India has given the world and is a true gift to every woman. Easy to wear, it has a creative feel to it without it looking too pretentious. My favourite comes from Zara or from Rajesh Pratap Singh. Then comes a great pair of trousers to wear with this--you have to turn to Joseph or Theory. (Yes for those who live in India it involves traveling abroad, but I am yet to find a great brand available in India that makes those perfect pants or any Indian designer who has figured out how to make the healthy Indian hips look good in trousers). Then comes a fab dress, there is black of course, but if you like red or white these are just as good. The LBD gives way to the LD. My current favourite LD is from Phillipe Lim. And if I had to choose a colour, it's purple; it makes me feel eternally majestic and looks fab with our more tanned skins. Lim is a designer I discovered three years ago and someone I remain in love with—he just knows how to make a dress that camouflages those flaws and accentuates your assets. What more does a woman want? Then comes the coat or the jacket—if you can afford to, invest in a Chanel. It never goes out of style! But if not, look closer to home: Nachiket Barve does some great textures on his jackets. (Yes I know it's about being basic, but remember basic does not have to mean boring).And lastly comes the sari, a cocktail one a la Tarun Tahiliani or Gaurav Gupta. They have given the sari a young and modern feel by going with structured drapes and making the blouse the focal point. Or go traditional and check out Cinnamon’s organdy and jacquard saris. Just remember to team with an extra sexy blouse or maybe a tube top, so that it looks like you're wearing a sari all on its lonesome!

These are pieces that should make the foundation of your wardrobe, and a good foundation will ensure a very stylish start to the year. Here's wishing you a happy, healthy, wealth and fabulously chic 2010. Remember, keeping it simple is often the safer, easier and most flattering option.

PS: Incase this sounds too simple, I'm sure I will go back to my slightly dressier self in the next entry.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new start. Looking forward to more posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Zara too ! It would be great if I could buy the highly coveted Chanel jacket . But for now, I believe that I can buy great coats and jackets with ingenious embellishments and prints at stores like Mango, Promod, Espirit and Van Heusen .

    ReplyDelete

CHANEL's CLASSIC

CHANEL's CLASSIC
A True Investment Piece

TARUN TAHILIANI's

TARUN TAHILIANI's
TWIST TO THE SARI

NACHIKET BARVE

NACHIKET BARVE
THE COAT GOES GLAM